Called to serve in the Guatemala Quetzaltenango mission

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

The week!

Hey everyone!  To be honest, there were quite a few distractions this week.  Some of you probably know that there were elections this week, which is a really big deal here. A lot of people were working extra hard to make sure that their political party won or protesting, which meant not a lot of people in their houses!  On top of that, my companion got sick because he ate 4 fried tacos from my convert Israel haha his food is not very clean.  In spite of all the challenges, we focused on the good and did our best. 

Carlos was supposed to be babtized this week, but due to some protesting President Smith decided not to come to Huehue.  Its been kind of hard for both me and my companion to wait so long, but I guess this experience is teaching us ´pacience.  Manuel and his family continue to do well, they couldnt come to church because they had to go vote in a village far away but promised to come next Sunday.  We worked this week with a little boy named Alex, who is super cool but his whole family is Catholic.  We recieved permision from the grandpa, mom, grandma etc. but something strange happened when we passed by to teach him.  His aunt decided to join in on the lesson and I could tell that there was a bad spirit present.  We will have to keep working with Alex, but I have faith that he can be babtized.  We have some new people lined up to teach this coming week, so I hope some of them are positive!

I think some advice I would give for anyone called to the Quetzaltenango, Guatemala, mission would to bring waterproof everything!  Though it hasnt rained too much this season, there will be times when we are super far away in the mountain and it will start dumping rain haha. My companion always says that this is the Rambo mission because of all the mountains, crazy languages, rain, etc...  Speaking of my comp, things have been going well between us.  Hes a great guy, its kind of funny to me because even though he is from Peru he is pretty much a Gringo.  He has seen tons of movies, likes longboarding, used to be in the Peruvian military, loves pizza, we relate to each other well and it makes mission work a lot more fun.  This next week is the last one of the change, so we will see if I have changes or not.  Either way, Ive enjoyed training my companion and in a lot of ways he has trained me.  

I would like to end with a scriptue, which I wont quote but I would like for you guys to look it up.  I love 1 Nephi 17 15, I love Nephis rock solid example of righteousness.  Do we simply "try" to keep the commandments or do we "strive" to live them?  There are so many blessings that Heavnely Father wants to dump on us, but first we must do our part.  I love the Gosepel and being here in Guatemala.  Love you all!  Que Dios les bendiga!

No comments:

Post a Comment