Called to serve in the Guatemala Quetzaltenango mission

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

The craziest week ever!

Well, I hope the title of this letter explains how my week was!  WE BABTIZED A FAMILY!!!  It was one of the most awesome experiences of my life.  The Cox Family is the humblest, nicest family I have ever met.  They were so prepared and ready for the Gospel.  They dont have a lot of material things, or even much education, but they are flat out awesome.  Now Im going to explain why things were so crazy!

Alright, so Saturday morning we went to the church (which is the stake center building) to fill up the font.  At 10 30 we turned the font on, then we had to run to meet the zone leaders to grab the babtism clothing.  As we were running back to turn off the babtism font we saw the wife of the second councilor walking away from the church. "Elders, the babtism font is pretty full you should go turn it off," she told us casually.  I thought it was a joke, but the moment we opened up the chapel door we could tell that the babtism font was "pretty full," because there was about half an inch of water on the floor! Nearly the entire church building was full of water.  Our church has tile floor thank goodness, but we still needed to clean everything up as soon as possible.  I called my district and we got things cleaned up in about an hour and I learned a lesson: dont flood the church!

In spite of the little flood, the babtism service went well.  I babtized Carlos and Valerio, my comp babtized Hermana Lorenza, and the elders quorum president, who is an 18 year old convert named "Tato," babtized the oldest son Vicente.  On Sunday we went with Vicente to visit his cousin, who now has a babtism date for the 29th of August.  The Lord is blessing us like crazy know.  Many times, as missionaries, we might get down on ourselves.  Months of rejection and trials can decieve us and make us feel like we arent doing a good job.  But, with the help of Heavenly Father as well as the members, we can overcome our obstacles and become powerful servants of God.

Everything in my district is going fairly well.  It still surprises me how some missionaries are kind of lazy, but Ive been trying to lead by example and do the best that I personally can.  Next week my companion finishes his first transfer cycle in the field, crazy!  He has learned a lot and is a great friend.

  Things are going well down here in Guatemala.  I know the Church is true.  Ive really grown to love the Book of Mormon and its been helping me become a better man.  I love Moroni 7 29, which I encourage you to read if you have a chance.  God is still a God of miracles.  He still loves us and wants the best for us.  Adiós mis queridos amigos y familiares!

No comments:

Post a Comment