Called to serve in the Guatemala Quetzaltenango mission

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Semana de Patalup

Hola!  This has been a pretty eventful week.  After a district meeting, my companion and I headed up to Choqui, packed our bags, and made the trip to our second area called Patalup.  Haha that was fun!  Imagine hiking straight up to the Y in Provo with about 70 pounds, that´s about what it was like.  BUT we made it in good time and quickly started exploring the area.  Apparently my companions companion had health issues so he didn´t know the area too well.

This whole week has been walking and looking for those who could become investigators.  I was a little frustrated the beginning of the week because we weren´t really getting anywhere.  Thankfully my prayers were answered as we found about 5 or 6 people who have a lot of potential.  One of them is a girl named Angelica.  We showed her a video of the First Vision and right when it ended tears just started rolling down her face.  I don´t think I´ve ever felt the spirit more strongly as both my companion and I gave testimony of Joseph Smith.  I had prayed that whole day for a miracle and up until 5, nothing had happened that day.  Heavenly Father always gives to those who have faith and I consider finding and teaching Angelica a miracle.  

This week we did a lot of service.  Moving bricks, hauling corn up a mountain, teaching seminary, the whole shebang!  Serving is an awesome way to reach out to the people and make a difference. Service is great and though sometimes it´s hard, it´s helped me be a lot more humble and loving. 

I never thought I´d have very many meals in my area, but this week alone we´ve had probably 6 or 7!  The food is really simple and really good.  Eggs, beans, rice, corn tortillas.  The people don´t have very much but they are extremely generous.  You have to be a little bit careful as far as cleanliness goes haha but I haven´t been sick or had any problems so I consider that a huge blessing.

The other day in Church, with about 8 minutes until church started, Bishop pulls me aside and told me to give a talk about prayer.  Talk giver, piano player, and lesson teacher haha.  I feel really comfortable with all these things now and I´m glad to help the ward out.

There have been a few really tough days this week but I keep learning a lot of awesome things.  Patience and humility have been hard at times for me in the past, but I´ve become so much more patient and truly humbled.  Heavenly Father has a plan for everyone and he loves us more than we can imagine.  The Church is true.  The Holy Ghost can always be with us if we will let Him.  I love everyone back home, I love this country, and I love being a missionary.  Adios!


 JAckson and his companion
This is a man in the ward in Patalup where Jackson is this week.  Jack said he tried to help him with his wood but refused!

No comments:

Post a Comment