Called to serve in the Guatemala Quetzaltenango mission

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Hola everyone, this has been a crazy week!  Sometimes the days feel just really, really slow but I love sharing the Gospel.  One of our biggest challenges in Choqui has been finding investigators that want to progress.  Before I came here I don´t think there had been a progressing investigator in like a month or two, so it was such a blessing this week to find Isaiah.  Isaiah is a great kid and he´s been reading out of the Book of Mormon and keeping commitments, good good!  Earlier in the week a man named Hector came up to us and said that he wanted to change.  We´ve only been able to teach him one lesson but last night we called him and he´s really interested in learning more.  One problem though... we don´t know if he´s in our area!  We have an area called Patalup, but he lives in Patalup San Bartolo, so we´ll need to figure that out this week.
This week we did a lot of tracting in the mountain, which is really fun even though everyone is spread out.  We have to do this because the main area of Choqui is about 100 percent Evangelists.  These guys are crazy!  They do not want the Gospel at all, no matter how hard we try.  It´s funny though, you know who has the biggest, nicest houses and usually a car?  The Evangelical pastors.  They tell their members to avoid us because they want money, which has been frustrating.  Other than that, things here have been pretty good.  It´s kind of tough having a latino companion because sometimes you just need to speak English, but I´ve learned a lot more Spanish lately.  Oh, and the other day in Church I gave a talk, blessed the sacrament, and taught Priesthood!  We may not have a lot of people here in Choqui, but who do you think they send to tough areas? Tough people!  I really love something Joseph Smith once said.  He said something like, ¨Never be discouraged.  If I were sunk in the lowest pits of Nova Scotia, with the Rocky Mountains piled on top of me, I would hang on, exercise faith, and keep up good courage, and I would come out on top.¨ I´m doing my best, the best I can and I´ve learned so much about patience, Christ, and love.  The church is true and we have so many blessings.  God loves us.  Adios!



                                                       This is Jackson's view each morning


                                                      Spanish, Quiche, and English  



                                                     Jackson and his companion eating in their "kitchen"

No comments:

Post a Comment